Homecoming 2014

Homecoming 2014

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Quiet Moments

If anyone knows anything about me, they would know that I love the ocean. I love it so much that I joke with my husband that with all of the blues in our home that surely the ocean will eventually come to us. I love everything about it. I love the smell of it, the sand beneath my toes, the animals that are in it and the feeling of calmness I get the moment that I am in the presence of it. It is not until I sit perfectly still that I notice the wind blowing on my face, how the crashing waves cause my body to be moved, and the birds cawing above me. It is during these quiet moments that I am able to reflect on things that have been on my mind. It is a time for me to pray and let my guard down. Although lately I have not been able to get to the beach as much as I did when we lived back east (pacific water is very cold), I have noticed there are new quiet times that I am appreciating. I love how my children will sit with me in the morning and talk about their dreams. I love how they relish in the bible reading I just did and want to know what I learned. I love how my oldest will still gently reach for my hand as we walk down the street together. I love seeing them say their bed time prayers, sing songs of praise before going to sleep and the soft snuggle I get before they do sleep. Hearing my youngest child read a book for the first time, while I am the spectator. When my husband gives me that reassurring smile, squeeze of the hand to say he loves me or the wink he gives me across the room to still let me know I am his girl are priceless moments to me. These quiet moments, although sometimes not silent, are more powerful to me than any ocean wave. It always amazes me how God teaches us. He has provided us with such an amazing example of his presence. Whether it is while I am at the ocean soaking it all in or hearing my little girl say all of the new testament books of the bible for the first time. It is in these moments that I remember why he reminds us in Psalms 46:10 "to be still and know I am God". The same God that controls a mighty ocean also has power over myself and family. It is through these things that I can feel his presence.

So for this weekend and the following week, I am going to remind myself more of this scripture, and take more notice to what I should be hearing in the quiet moments around me. Hold my tongue when things do not go as I planned or when I think I should speak. I will remember he is in control and allow him to lead me and feel him in my presence.

For the quiet moments is when I find my heart is seeking most.

Psalms 23: 1-3

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul."

1 comment:

  1. Psalms 46:10 "to be still and know I am God".

    My very favorite bible verse, hands down.

    Thank you for being my friend and reminding me to be still...

    love you!

    ReplyDelete