Homecoming 2014

Homecoming 2014

Monday, May 2, 2011

Leap of Faith

How many times in our life do we say we wish we could do something. I know personally there have been so many things that I wished I could do, but decided that maybe a change would be too hard, a risk to the things that I enjoy, or lack the faith to understand that things will work out according to God's purpose. As my christian walk has lengthened, I have found my faith to have grown as well. I have met many people along the way who claim to be believers and that they are faithful followers, however, many of them have never come to a point in their life to have to choose for themselves something out of their comfort zone. Since my move here to california, I have made some new friends. A great group of women. However, I really feel that God brought one friend in particular in my life to help hold me accountable. I have had the privilege to cry with this friend, pray with her, and share in her day to day moments of life. Just recently, this friend made a huge leap of faith by putting her words into action. She has a little boy and little girl in her life that would make any adult smile. They are vibrant, smart, and lovable little children. Her son, has some special concerns that has been placed upon them and unselfishly, my friend has decided not to return to teaching next year. She has put aside her own wants and desires and has placed her full trust in God that he will provide for her and her husband as they need. WOW! What a bold statement. Both working parents have so much more to offer financially to a household, but my friend is showing the strength is takes to stay home, nuture those children and support that sweet boy the best way she can. This leap of faith has been so inspiring to me. I know that God has a special direction he is taking this family and I am so thankful I am here to see it and be a support a long the way. I pray that this leap of faith helps me re-evaluate some things that I have been thinking about doing and actually doing them. For although faith is something that is not seen, it is also an action, it is putting words into movement. It is having that picture/ story " Foot Prints in the Sand" in my mind that when I feel that God has abandoned me that the reason I no longer see him is because he is carrying me. He has promised to never leave nor forsake us. For the prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. (James 2:17)
Faith does not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power. (1 Corinthians 2:5)

Footprints

One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never, never leave you
during your times of trial and suffering.
"When you saw only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

...Mary Stevenson

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story. What a privilege to know that God is with us always!

    ReplyDelete